644 clutch

This catagory is to exchange information about Merc Sleds. Specifications, appearance, quirks. This is basically a catch all catagory.
S_Kyle

644 clutch

Post by S_Kyle »

Got my 72' hurricane going but the primary clutch is pretty beat up and I dont think it will make the winter. Does any one have a good used primary clutch for sale? Was this clutch used on any other sleds or do I have to find anouther off of a hurricane?
S_Kyle

Post by S_Kyle »

Still looking for a clutch. I can't make out the model, does any one know what model the clutch is and if it was used on other sleds
Mercury

Post by Mercury »

Hurricanes used Salsbury 910 clutches on the 72 model which was made in 1971 and very early (January) 1972. Salsbury 850 clutches were used on Hurricanes made after 2/72.

Unfortunately after 35 years it may not have the original clutch on it. A picture to identify the clutch is best.

Bill
S_Kyle

Post by S_Kyle »

Is there a comet clutch that can be used? I have a 94c, 100c and a 102c in storge. I will try to get a pic or find out what is on it now for a clutch.

Thanks Scott
Mercury

Post by Mercury »

S_Kyle wrote:Is there a comet clutch that can be used? I have a 94c, 100c and a 102c in storge. I will try to get a pic or find out what is on it now for a clutch.

Thanks Scott

Any clutch can be used as long as the adjustments (arms and springs) are cut for the power curve of a 644cc Mercury engine.
S_Kyle

Post by S_Kyle »

What will happen if the springs are not cut for a merc 644. Can this cause damage to the sled or will it just affect the performance of the sled?
Mercury

Post by Mercury »

S_Kyle wrote:What will happen if the springs are not cut for a merc 644. Can this cause damage to the sled or will it just affect the performance of the sled?
Setting up a clutch incorrectly will definately effect performance. The cut of the ramps optimizes the power band of the motor in conjunction with the driven clutch.

As far as damage. Nothing will probably explode. It may have an effect of over reving the engine or overheating.

So for an emergency to get home it would be fine. Beyond that for longevity of the sled a properly calibrated clutch is the way to go.
S_Kyle

Post by S_Kyle »

Well a rebuild is out of the question as the clutch started to spit pieces when it was last run. But a friend said he might have one in storage.
S_Kyle

Post by S_Kyle »

Installed the comet 100c, It works very well the springs must be very close to original. It is pretty snappy off the line but doesnt have a great top end, broke the speedo cable so don't have a true top speed. The only problem is the motor is heating up more than I would like.
Mercury

Post by Mercury »

S_Kyle wrote:.... The only problem is the motor is heating up more than I would like.

A common problem with the Hurricane, especially above freezing.

You need to make sure there are no varmit nests in the cooling area and clean any grease or oil residue off the cylinder fins with a solvent. Cooling of these is critical.

The hurricane is not a fast sled. Realistically 45 is top speed.

Bill
S_Kyle

Post by S_Kyle »

Then I think my hurricane is about average. I have removed 2 nests from the sled, one inside the recoil and another under the motor between the cylinders. I am missing the to motor shield the piece of tin that covers the fins. Will this affect the cooling, I know that some of the older sleds need the shrouding to keep cool. I am going to pick up a 74 mark 2 in a few weeks, I might be able to get the shroud off of it.
Mercury

Post by Mercury »

YOU DEFINATELY NEED THAT SHROUD!

You should not run the engine without it. There will be little or no cooling to the clutch side cylinder especially with the whole engine sitting on the muffler.

Bill
S_Kyle

Post by S_Kyle »

Good to know. I thought it was running way to hot so I shut it down, good thing I didn't take it to the relic run last week.

Thanks,

Scott