Tracks

This catagory is to exchange information about Merc Sleds. Specifications, appearance, quirks. This is basically a catch all catagory.
kiggle4321

Tracks

Post by kiggle4321 »

Cananone give me some information about the track on a 1974 merc 440 s/r. I need to know what kindof drive and whether it is a rubber or cleated track?
Mercury

Re: Tracks

Post by Mercury »

kiggle4321 wrote:Can any one give me some information about the track on a 1974 merc 440 s/r. I need to know what kindof drive and whether it is a rubber or cleated track?

The original track was 3 rubber bands held together with steel cleats. The cleats flying off and going through the seat became a safety issue (the cleat was not riveted on like on a 70's AC it was just molded into the rubber)

In the 80's Mercury contracted with Yokohama to build an all rubber replacement track for the Air cooled twisters and the SR's They are now difficult to find.

The major name mail order houses that have a track available that fits the SR and MX do not fit. What you are looking for is an involute drive 15" slide suspension track. (The Max/MX is bogie and uses a different track entirely)

A supplemental centering kit was included with the tracks. This has spacers to keep the track centered. You do not want to use a track on an SR without the centering kit...it will not last long and will bog down.

If you decide to go with a track from Mail Order ask them specifically if the centering kit is included. If they don't know what it is...move on. You will not be happy with your purchase.

I have a few of these NOS tracks left. They come with the centering kit. Price is $150 plus shipping.

Bill