new member with '74 S/R 440

This catagory is to exchange information about Merc Sleds. Specifications, appearance, quirks. This is basically a catch all catagory.
ratmerc

new member with '74 S/R 440

Post by ratmerc »

I recently bartered labor for a slightly rough Merc with a CCW 440...was this the only year that engine was used in the S/R? Are many chassis and electrical parts interchangeable from other years? I am trying to figure out if this machine is worth saving; I'd like to if it has some redeeming values! Tell me the good AND the bad of this sled...outside of the styling, which kinda reminds me of an AMC Pacer :!: If it was a good runner in its' day, I'll fix it up...Thanks!
ratmerc

Post by ratmerc »

O.K., so maybe I'm being a little too cheeky about the old S/R. Answered my own question about the CCW 440 by going to the identification section provided by this site and noticed that, yes, one year for that engine. Also read a few old posts, one of which indicated that the rear suspension changed from '74 to '75 as well. As I'm already pretty well known around my parts for riding uncommon old sleds, looks like this might just be another in the line! Need to start looking for a good donor machine so I can make one good one out of two...
'anybody can run a new one...it takes dedication to ride a classic!'
W-Cummins

Post by W-Cummins »

The 440 ccw was used in the 73-75 model years. The first were kec-440-21's and later they used kec-440-22's Some parts will interchange but others will not. They increased the piston pin size and I think the crankshaft output shaft diameter too ( 25 to 30mm). As for the side rail parts I think they ( the slides) are getting hard to find as a set ( both sides). Other stuff will interchange from a 440/mx or max for a lot of the non suspension parts.
BTW if you do decide to wack it in the head, I might be interested in the motor if it's a -22 model...

William...
ratmerc

Post by ratmerc »

Thanks for the information William, I feel a little better about the acquisition knowing the S/R is a little better than a 'one year wonder' as far as availability of parts, new or used. Still have a few questions about reliabilty/drivability, so anyone who has put any miles on these sleds might chime in...

I am actually going over to pick up a spare CCW 440 engine the fellow has for this machine, although I think he said it originally came out of a John Deere of the same vintage. I will let you know what I end up with, there should be an ID tag on it somewhere.

Phil
W-Cummins

Post by W-Cummins »

I don't know why the SR would be any less reliable than the bogie suspended machines but... I have run a 75 sr for several hundred miles and it seemed fine. I have run my 73 440 max for many thousands of miles and its never left me walking.... yet:-) The CCW/KEC motors are good, they use them in ultralight aircraft where a motor failure can be a little more of a pucker factor than on a snowmobile....

William....
ratmerc

Post by ratmerc »

That's a good enough testimonial for me, William! We don't have a groomed trail system here, so a tough sled is a must. The older guy I got this sled from says it was a good runner, it's just that he kind of let it go to pot once he and his wife had purchased a couple of later model machines (not Mercs).

Harold told me he once used this S/R to tow his fish shanty off the lake and then 2 miles back to town; with another guy on the back, over roads that were getting down to gravel in spots! :shock: That's the kind of life it's had so far.

I'll probably be a bit kinder...

Phil
directreverse

Post by directreverse »

This past winter my wife and I got into vintage rides for various charities....what a party they are. I completely restored two 1975 440 S/Rs that we use on these rides. I also restored a 1974 440 S/R. As far as rideability the 74 has a narrower ski stance and is quite a bit tippier than the 75s, My wife wont ride it because of this,, she goes like mad on her 75. But as they say it is what it is. If any one is interested I may be selling two 74s completely gone thru.. motor, clutches carb,ign, suspension,chaincase etc. right to new seat covers. A good looking pair of husband/wife vintage matchers..turn key,well pull cord. Im gong to do two 1975 340 S/Rs this fall/winter. They also have the narrower ski stance as the 74 440s, I WILL cheat and use spreaders on these as they dont have the sway bar. I am a Merc Marine dealer now and was employed at a Merc snomo dealer from 71 to the end. Believe me its a hell of a lot more FUN now. OH the slides really like snow...even with the wheel kits they really eat slides if you run them a little dry. This isnt a problem on the vintage rides as the sponsors have the routes well planned and groomed and keep us in/on snow. Were 3-5 thousand mile a year people on our real sleds,,,, these vintage events are are really a blast and we will be going on more next winter.
ratmerc

Post by ratmerc »

Thanks for the info, dr! That is good feedback on the ridability question, as I had not known about the ski stance change between the two years. Are you still located in WI, then?

Would love to do the vintage rides, but rather cost prohibitive for me traveling off the island very much in winter. Would also mean keeping a trailer and sled somewhere on the mainland, too. Sure sounds great, though...