Comet 102C Clutch on 440 Max ?

This catagory is to exchange information about Merc Sleds. Specifications, appearance, quirks. This is basically a catch all catagory.
N5XL

Post by N5XL »

The Merc 440 Max originally was supposed to have a Salsbury clutch (best I can tell from the literature I have), however the sled I am working on restoring has a Comet 102c put on in its place.

Its a very long detective trail and to make a long story short, I am not sure that this particular 102c has the right belt spacing as there is a LOT of slack on either side of the 1 1/4 drive belt...looks like this particular clutch is set up for a 1 5/16 in belt width. Since the belt that came on this sled is wrong too (much too short..causing the driven clutch to gear higher), I can only assume the worst about the 102c thats on there just being something that someone stuck on there in order to try to race it or just get by with what was available.
SO......... Has anyone successfully applied a 102C clutch to a 440 Max, and if so, do you remember or know what the correct spring and arms are for it. I understand that clutching is highly variable depending on riding style, rider weight, etc... I am looking for a basic starting point for general trail riding. I have no intention of racing this sled or even trying to. This is for a basic restoration.

Thanks
Dave
N5XL