644 Hurricane top speed

This catagory is to exchange information about Merc Sleds. Specifications, appearance, quirks. This is basically a catch all catagory.
thekod_7

Post by thekod_7 »

What is the top speed on the Hurricane.
thanks
Kody
Mercury

Post by Mercury »

45 mph......

Down hill....a steep hill....

with a stong wind at your back. :D
thekod_7

Post by thekod_7 »

so they aren't that fast. I am guessing they have a lot of power.
Kody
merc644

Post by merc644 »

Asking the about the top speed of a Hurricane is like asking about the top speed of a car. The '71's were much different than the '75's, and then you needed to consider the different variants of the Mark II's. The 73 MarkII was the fastest Hurricane. In 74 the Hurricane was detuned (although still rated at 50hp) to make the introduction of the 74 Twister shine even more. The 73 had twin Tillotson HD127A's mounted on an angle, the mouth of the carbs were surrounded by a box that had a type of ram air inlet at the base of the windshield (good luck finding a '73 NOS windshield with the intake cutouts). 74's and 75's used Walbros mounted horizontally without the 'ram air'. Also, gearing was highest (17 top vs 16 tooth top) and timing was 28 degrees (compared to 21 degrees)in '73. Brouchures of the day showed MarkII's with aluminum skis.
Without a radar gun I could only tell you indicated speed of my 73 Mark I, Mark II and 74 Mark II. The weight of the sled and clutching meant that it wasnt as quick as lighter sleds of the day but the top speed was there. Keeping the sled upright limited your speed more than the motor.