soon to be 76 440 TT owner

This catagory is to exchange information about Merc Sleds. Specifications, appearance, quirks. This is basically a catch all catagory.
twist76

Post by twist76 »

I pick up my 76 440 TT in a few weeks. I live in Ohio and I am trekking to Eagle River WI to pick it up. I guess it's basically stock. I'm excited to be a part of this hobby of owning mercs. I guess my first question is what do I have to do to beat my brother's 79 Kawasaki Intruder 440 fan ? Maybe if I blow him off the snow he will switch to mercs also !!! Ha Ha....
440 MERC T T

Post by 440 MERC T T »

I'd say all you will have to do is squeeze the throttle. Jeff
twist76

Post by twist76 »

Sounds awesome !! I'm chomping at the bit to pick it up. It's at Image, My wife and I are taking her sled with us and riding in Munising MI after we leave Image with the TT. What all have you done to your TT. I'm curious to hear what flow work to the porting and head work does for performance..
440 MERC T T

Post by 440 MERC T T »

It's well maintained and very dependable, rode 659 miles last winter, grass dragged last summer and got 248 miles in Dec. before the snow disappeared. I would ask Bob if your T/T has the improved motor mounts installed. OEM mounts are inferior (IMHO), I mean they break alot. I have upgraded shocks all around + a Image seat = smooth ride. I don't know about the flow work and porting, but I am curious also. Jeff
SHewelt

Post by SHewelt »

You'll like the T/T. There were 4 of them finished in the top 5 at Eagle River...a 340 won! Shows just how close the 340 & 440 are in performance. Another 340T/T finished in 7th. They run pretty good stock Best performance upgrade for your money is replace the Arctic clutch with a COMET, then just ride it!
twist76

Post by twist76 »

Thanks for the info., You're the second person that has said to replace the arctic cat clutch with a comet. I'm thinking about going ahead and having Bob at Image put one on it before I pick it up. We have a small family owned sled shop here in central Ohio and come to find out the owner collects vintage sleds and has a TT 440. So, I got to see one in person.. WOW, what a machine! It's low and wide stance give it that racer look that I like. What about studding the track? I want to grass drag it also... Nice talking to you guys !!
twist76

Post by twist76 »

What Comet clutch works the best on the TT 440 ? I noticed they make a few different steps of performance clutches. I'd like something that makes her rip but still able to ride on the trail.
SHewelt

Post by SHewelt »

I posted this same info on the other thread...102C, PURPLE spring, A12 arms...just as COMET suggests for the T/T....
TallmanTwister

Post by TallmanTwister »

Scott, What's the benefit(s) of switching from the Arctic to the Comet?. Thanks.
SHewelt

Post by SHewelt »

I know I posted this before somewhere here, but here goes. The ARCTIC clutch was a breakthrough in the mid-70's. Let start with tuning it: It has numerous adjustments that can be made. Since there is so many options, it's also a curse. The ramps are difficult to find & grind accurately, the weights can be changed, but those too are now tough to find. The hex bushings wear out & the clutch will bind and rattle like you threw a rod. Drag racers still like this clutch because of the set-up options & fast upshifting. However, drag sleds don't have to back-shift and this is where the COMET is hands-down a better clutch.

The Comet clutch uses springs & arms. All are still available in huge varity & can swap with most POLARIS internals too. Easy to find, many arm/weight profiles & excellent upshift/backshift characteristics. Keep the ARCTIC clutch for the show-sled.
merc-eric

Post by merc-eric »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by 440 MERC T T</i>
<br />It's well maintained and very dependable, rode 659 miles last winter, grass dragged last summer and got 248 miles in Dec. before the snow disappeared. I would ask Bob if your T/T has the improved motor mounts installed. OEM mounts are inferior (IMHO), I mean they break alot. I have upgraded shocks all around + a Image seat = smooth ride. I don't know about the flow work and porting, but I am curious also. Jeff
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

so when you say upgraded shocks what do you mean? is it something image sells? whats the upgrade? and if you dont mind, what was the cost? thanks!
snow, natures original "white gold"
440 MERC T T

Post by 440 MERC T T »

Yes they do sell them. Don't know price (have old catalogue). Give him a call and he will answer all your questions. Jeff
merc-eric

Post by merc-eric »

I have his new catologue and it doesnt say. are they just a higher quality shock? thanks!
snow, natures original "white gold"