73 Merc Lightning questions

This catagory is to exchange information about Merc Sleds. Specifications, appearance, quirks. This is basically a catch all catagory.
msteckling

Post by msteckling »

I've got two questions that I could use some help with on a 73 Merc Lightning I picked up this fall.
A)Does anyone know the stock carb settings on this sled? It has a Tillotson HR carburetor which I'm not familliar with. From what I can see there are 3 screws to set - Idle mixture, Idle Speed and a High Speed adjusting screw (The motor is a 398 CCW fan). I'd like to be able to start with stock settings and adjust from there, any help would be greatly appreciated!
B)I'm having a problem with ice forming in the gas line between the carb and the seat gas line connection. I drained the gas tank once already and am now using premium gas with Isopropoline added and it's still forming ice in the gas line (which is also new). Does anyone know if this is a common problem with this sled? (It also has a metal gas tank connected to a solid aluminum type gas line that runs through the seat to get to the carb) If so, any ideas on a fix?
Aquaman

Post by Aquaman »

For the second part, condensation builds easy in solid lines. Try converting to a good quality braided rubber hose. Good Luck!