Looking for suggestions

Post all Technical Questions and answers on Scoots and Sports here
jcmathis

Looking for suggestions

Post by jcmathis »

I have gone through the carb completely, made sure the float was adjusted correctly, replaced the fuel pump, Tank filter and all the fuel lines. I can get it to start without a problem but it runs as if it is too rich. I have not changed any of the jets but if it ran good before, I cannot see why I would need to change the jetting. It does run pretty good if I remove the air box but it does not idle very well. I am ready to give up on this thing.

All help will be appreciated.
orlo

Post by orlo »

Having owned Yamaha's all my life, & currently 3 in the stable including a Scoot, It seems they are very picky on the carb settings & the air cleaners. Did you replace the air filter with a thicker foam style? It sounds like you're starving it for air.....or check all your carb settings.
jcmathis

Post by jcmathis »

orlo wrote:Having owned Yamaha's all my life, & currently 3 in the stable including a Scoot, It seems they are very picky on the carb settings & the air cleaners. Did you replace the air filter with a thicker foam style? It sounds like you're starving it for air.....or check all your carb settings.
Wouldn't the thicker foam reduce the air? We are having a 50 degree day today so I will be out there working on it again. Thanks for the advice.
orlo

Post by orlo »

No, You're actually starving it for air, so it's running rich... Also check your choke enrichiner settings. Good Luck..
jcmathis

Post by jcmathis »

I checked the enricher and it was fine, I drilled 4 1" holes in the frame side of the airbox and put the snap in filters to allow it to breath better and that took care of it. Not sure why it was running this way but it runs great now. Now it is time to sell it.

Thanks for all the help!
orlo

Post by orlo »

Where are you located?
jcmathis

Post by jcmathis »

I am in the Columbus, OH area.