Scoot track Help?

Post all Technical Questions and answers on Scoots and Sports here
Cory76

Scoot track Help?

Post by Cory76 »

I bought a Yamaha sno-scoot that has a new Yamaha(camoplast) track on it. The guy I bought it from told me that he installed it 4 years ago and only drove it across his yard as the track kept jumping up on the drivers. He said that he researched this problem and was told that the tracks were made the wrong pitch. So he said even if you ordered one today it will not work unless you find the correct drivers or maybe modify the drivers. The # on the track is 85G-47110-01, and that is the current Yamaha #.
Has anyone ran into this problem, if so how was it resolved??

Thanks
Bullhead

Post by Bullhead »

Nope. They used the same exact inner drum and outer mold as they did when they were new. These run about $70,000 a set (I know, I looked into it personally). Either his drivers have moved in towards center, drivers are stripped or cracked and slipping, track is too loose, or... skid or frame is twisted or tweaked. Have seen this before especially when ridden heavily by adults. It is not the track, although the track may have damage now. Good luck.

BH
jhje

Post by jhje »

Does it make a metalic noise when slipping? It is possible the front axle splines (o.d.) are worn and also the tranny gear (i.d.) splines, they get very rusted and the splines will rust/wear away. The tranny gear may be worn, but the drive axle usually worse. If this is your problem, you may be able to replace just the axle shaft. Let me know I have good used of both parts.
Cory76

Post by Cory76 »

I guess the guy was B.S ing me!

If I lay on the floor and watch the drivers as I spin the track I can see it ride up on the drivers after a revolution.
Can the 2 drivers be out of phase with each other, causing this? The one looks to be nicked up a little. I have another sled for parts and the drivers look good so I guess I'll have to take both apart and compare them.
I started taking one apart tonight, Wow its a bigger job than I thought!
Cory76

Post by Cory76 »

JHJE, no it doesn't make a metalic noise, when spinning it just wants to jump up on the drivers.
Thanks
Cory76

Post by Cory76 »

Ok, I got both machines tore down, replaced all my bearings, and installed the drive shaft from the other machine, as it was in way better shape. Reinstalled the new track, skidframe/engine, etc,and snugged up the track. And I still have the exact same problem :( . I spin it by hand and it spins easy for about 1/2 a revolution and then it wants to climb up on the drivers?? I can't see anything that looks bent or out of place.

I'm out of ideas and getting frusterated, so any suggestions will be greatly apretiated.

P.S, anyone want to trade 120 for a couple of Scoots :wink:
jhje

Post by jhje »

Is track too tight? Loosen track up and see if it will spin by engine if you block up back of sled?
Cory76

Post by Cory76 »

I tried it loose & tight, spinning it by hand And it does the same thing. I havn't tried under power b/c I don't want to hook everything up and have to take it all apart again. I can lay down and watch it slowly climb up on the drivers after about half a revolution, then I spin it the opisite direction and its good for half a rev and it climbs the backside of the iner lug. Almost like the track pitch is off or, the drivers are wrong??
emacauto

tack

Post by emacauto »

sounds like its bent did you use the track from parts sled? 2 drives doing same thing unlikely defective track maybe
Cory76

Post by Cory76 »

The track was brand new 4 years ago, and only ran across the yard, is what I was told by the guy I bought it off of. It does look like new?
jhje

Post by jhje »

Cory, we are overlooking something? Is the track on correct? is it overtop suspension frame correctly? It sounds like the drive will spin fine but the track is "tight" some place? I believe drive axle and plastic drives are ok, something just seems to keep track from spinning freely? Let me think about it some more.
Bullhead

Post by Bullhead »

What year scoot is it? the drivers on the 88's had just plastic drivers on them. The following years had the same drivers, but with steel collars on them at the hub/axle to keep them from cracking at the hub and spinning or slipping on the axle. Maybe you have a cracked driver that is moving or getting caught on the axle? Also check the bulkhead. Check your brakes. You may have a loose puck that is sticking at a certain point or a loose caliper that is binding. It;s late and I'm tired so sorry if I am repeating the advice of others. Jhje, my little guy is off all his breathing tubes, ventilator and almost all the other machines and may get to come home soon! Lets talk about that fuel pump too!
Cory76

Post by Cory76 »

Heres a Video if it works.

Cory76

Post by Cory76 »

The sound didn't work so I'll try and explain. For the first half of the video im spining it forward, and the inner lugs of the track climb up on the top of the drivers. Near the end I spun it backwards and you can see it ride up on the btm of the driver.
Its kinda hard to see but try and watch the spacing b/t the driver tooth and the inner lug, it slowly creeps towards the lug and then has to climb it.

Last night I tightened it tighter than i've had it, and got it so it wouldn't climb up but it gets pretty tight in that one spot (every half a revolution)I'll have to get a fish scale or a 22lb weight and check the tension, but it feels too tight to me. Although I got it not slipping it just doesn't feel right!

Maybe one of you could look under your machine and compare it to my video.
Just to eliminate a few things, I don't have the brake installed ,and the drivers arn't spinning on the axle.
I'm starting to get very frustrated with this thing :evil: Anyone want to buy a couple scoots :wink:
Thanks for helping out guys, hopfully we get this figured out !
DaveyBoy

Post by DaveyBoy »

Is the track aligned and centered right? i dont think it is is why u are haveing this problem i would look at your adjusters and make sure they measure even .If they are try to loosen 1 side then the other to see if it helps with the binding.I cant rememebr if mine did that too but i will check tommorrow or saturday