Scoot track Help?

Post all Technical Questions and answers on Scoots and Sports here
Cory76

Post by Cory76 »

Ya I tried loosening one side and tightening the other and vice versa, didn't make a differance. Where I have it now it seems to be centered as the sliders are both centered in the track windows. I found it hard to get it to move from side to side as the inside of rear idler wheels are very close to the track drive lugs as soon as I go one way or the other you can hear it squeking on them. Are your machines like this?? I checked my parts machine and it is the same.
Thanks
DaveyBoy

Post by DaveyBoy »

Some of the teeth look messed up in the video? I think u either got a bent axle or the cog drive is out of round hard to tell in the video though i will check mine tonight or tommorrow and see i never really checked it even when i put on new tracks they spun hard but consistent .and maybe not as hard as the bind u have I will let ya know asap
Mercury

Post by Mercury »

Thanks for the video...what a great diagnostic tool.

In all the snowmobiles I have worked on I have never seen the track riding the drive sprockets in such a short distance of travel. I see it losing sequence in less than a revolution. If you go to a different point in the track does it seem to not ride up and only in that spot? Mark it with tape on the track and see.

As long as the sprockets are mounted in a perfectly parallel sequence. (That means that they hit the drive lugs at the same time. That they are mounted identically on the shaft checked with a straight edge) It would indicate to me that the pitch specifications of either the track of the sprockets are not correct.

Do you have other sprockets or tracks to compare to?

Just because there is a Yamaha number on it does not mean that it was made properly.

I would compare sprockets with known good. And compare tracks with a known good. Measure the distance between every drive lug and make sure it is identical.

From the initial post which gives the history I gather that the original track purchaser was never successful in getting the track to work. The question is did the worn out one he took off work flawlessly.

It looks like you are doing everything right. From the history and the video it could be an incorrectly made track.

Keep us informed.

Bill
jhje

Post by jhje »

At 22 lbs. pull force you should have about and inch or so gap when you pull track away from slides. I'd say yours is not to tight if track spins and does not jump(ride) over plastic drives. It looks likes your is at least a 89, from the band on the plastic drive in video. I know some tracks will be noisy when first installed until they strech and break-in. Do you have much adjustment left to tighten track? Does in run straight? I'd say drive it and see what happens.
Cory76

Post by Cory76 »

I think the machine is an 88 as the drivers that I took out didn't have the bands, just hose clamps, and it only had the 2 rear wheels.
Right know I have the drivers out of my parts sled in it which are in nice shape. It does the exact same thing with both shafts, so I'm kinda eliminating the driver's/shaft.
I compared both shafts when they were out and couldn't find any differences. I also took some measurments from my new track and the old one on my parts sled and couldn't see any diff?? I didn't measure every lug yet, but it might come to that. I think I'm gonna Check and adjust my tension as per the manual and if its not riding up , I'll get it running and give it a try like jhje said.
Thanks again and keep the ideas coming!
emacauto

track

Post by emacauto »

if that right side runs fine on the drives ,the left side climbs the lugs & two different shafts did same thing you got a bum track ,i would put that parts sled track on just to eliminate the possibilty, too uncanny, great video dude can see just what your facing. no matter how lousy track was it would kill me not to try it. good luck my friend hope it works out soon.
Cory76

Post by Cory76 »

Both sides were doing the same thing you just can't see it in the video.

I made some progress tonight. I tentioned the track as per manual,(I had it to tight) and spun it by hand, it of course was tight every half revolution. I put the rest of the machine together and got it running, I spun the track and it seems like it might be OK, it wasn't jumping and snapping like I had expected.
Hopfully tommorow I'll finish putting it together and take it for a ride in the yard and see how it feels.

P.S its not for sale anymore :)
Cory76

Post by Cory76 »

Well I took it for a rip outside today and it seems good, hopfully it will stretch a little and everything will loosen up.It still feels tight spinning it by hand, but I guess I'll just run it and keep an eye on everything for a while.
Now I just need some more snow. Maybe I'll even let the kids have a turn!
Thanks for all the help Guys!