Running problems

Post all Technical Questions and answers on Scoots and Sports here
PolarisPaul

Running problems

Post by PolarisPaul »

Hello,
I have 2 Sno Scoots that bought this summer that seemed to run fine. Once the snow started flying I started them up and they seemed to run fine. My daughter drove one of them around for about 25 minutes and stopped and let the sled idle for a couple of minutes, once she hit the throttle again the machine bogged and died. I (kick) started it back up and it died, I did this about 15 times, and finally I got it to run by lifting up the back of the machine and running it fast. It ran fine, until she stopped again, then it bogged and died, so I put her on the electric start machine and she drove that for a while and it started doing the same thing.
Here is what I have done so far:
I put a new plug in the electric start machine, and nothing else because the guy I bought it from told me he had it tuned up by the dealer last year.
On the kick start machine this fall I cleaned the bowl on the carb (it was full of dirt), I also replaced the filter in the tank, blew out the fuel lines and replaced the spark plug.
After experiencing the problems I brought both of them to the dealer to have them looked it, (I figure they're the experts after all, and maybe there is something finicky about these machines). They told me both of the carburetors had dirt in them, so they cleaned them, they also looked at the jetting to make sure it was correct, and told me one of the main jets was broken, but still functional, and the other one is stuck and they couldn't get it out. They also told me the compression on the kick start machine was at about 100 lbs and that is low. They said most likely the problems I'm experiencing with the kick start machine is because of low compression.
After bringing them home I am still have the problems with the kick start machine, and sometimes have to choke the electric start machine to get it to go.

After all that, my questions are:
1. Does anyone have any advice on the running problems???
2. Does anyone have any suggestions on the main jet being broken on one and stuck on the other one?
3. I have seen some postings looking for electric start to add to a manual start machine, are the parts available, and how difficult is it? Kicking is for the birds, especially when you're having problems.

Thanks in advance
Paul
Mercury

Post by Mercury »

I would say your problem is fuel delivery based.

Before spending any real time and money on anything else and still having the same problem I would thoroughly clean the fuel system. When I have running issues this is always the area I tackle first. Usually takes an hour but with all the useless ethanol in gas...gas can now go bad in under 30 days. I forms deposits that clog ports.

That means removing the plastic fuel tank and flushing with water. Let it thoroughly air dry before replacement. I would remove and replace all the fuel lines. Make sure you install one of those $2 fuel filters in the intake line...a place where it is easy to view.

Remove the carb, remove the bowl and throughly clean with Lacquer Thinner. This will dissolve the deposits of the crappy gas we get now. Disassemble and rebuilt the fuel pump. You will be cleaning it out in the process.

If you have had dirt in the carb in the past it means that the fuel filter is not doing it's job.

Do all that stuff first. It may fix your issue it may not. But it will eliminate one of the potential problems allowing you to confidently move on to the next.

Tip...before shutting down for more than a day. Shut the fuel lever off and let the carb run dry. It minimizes potential problems. Also if you know you are not going to use the machines for a couple of weeks hit it with Stabil.

Bill
Bullhead

Post by Bullhead »

Great advice, and one more thing; replace the intank fuel filter. This will desinigrate over time and let little pieces of the filter into the fuel system. A good sign of this is cleaning the carb, everything works great for a short period of time, and then the problems return. Good luck!

Tony
PolarisPaul

Does anyone know what compression should be on these motors?

Post by PolarisPaul »

I thought about replacing all of the fuel line this fall, but decided against it for some silly reason. I will now replace all of the fuel lines, and the remaining in-tank filter, as well as add in-line filters in a visible place.

Does anyone know what compression should be on these motors?

Thanks for the advice, please keep it coming.

Thanks,
Paul