Fuel issue

Post all Technical Questions and answers on Scoots and Sports here
LawlerClan

Fuel issue

Post by LawlerClan »

Had the boy's scoot running great this fall and then when we went to ride it it started having an issue. Worked on it for a while and it appears to be not getting fuel. I can start it and get it to run by spraying gas in through the air filter opening but it won't run otherwise. I replaced the line from the tank to the petcock and from the petcock to the fuel pump. I replaced the fuel pump with a brand new one from Yamaha but it still won't run. I fired it up and got it to run for 5 minutes or so by spraying fuel in figuring I'd have to get the fuel lines full again but no dice. I have fuel in the lines but air pockets too.

Can I keep doing what I am doing and eventually get the air out? Something else I should check for? I can't really check to see if the fuel pump is pulling as I have to do this all by myself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Chip
LawlerClan

Re: Fuel issue

Post by LawlerClan »

Did some more testing and believe everything up to the carb is working fine. Pulled the carb and the float valve needle seemed to be sticking. Wiped that all down and sprayed with carb cleaner so it seems to move more freely. Couldn't test it as I need to replace the fuel line from the pump to the carb and didn't have any.

Think the needle could have been the problem the whole time?
LawlerClan

Re: Fuel issue

Post by LawlerClan »

Must have been the float needle as I got her running last night. Doesn't start as easilly as it used to but I may have moved some things. Think I need to adjust the idle again.

What is the electric switch on the carb for? Mine is just wired in a loop so not sure what the the point is. I'll dig in the manual later but wiring is not my strong point.

TIA
Chip