track won't turn

Post all Technical Questions and answers on Scoots and Sports here
Blu jcw

track won't turn

Post by Blu jcw »

Just got a new scoot, it was supposed to need a kick start gear, which a bit of welding and grinding I made it work, need new ones, but it works now.

I pulled the entire fuel system. Drained the tank, changed the tank filter(it was disintegrating), removed carb end of fuel line and blew the whole thing out, took off the carb, cleaned out the fuel bowl (not very dirty) reassembled, added a lawn mower filter before the injector tee, cleaned spark plug. Reassembled - new gas, primed fuel system. Three kicks - started right up :P two hours worth of work and it's alive!!!

I have it up on jacks and let it warm for a minute. Hit the gas, it revs up and feels like the brake is stuck, the track won't move.

I removed the brake cover and the caliper feels loose on the spline shaft. So I pulled the caliper off and put a 2' pipe wrench on it and it won't move, WTF?!

I remove the clutch cover, again, like the 6th time since fixing the kick gear. Turn the clutch and the track moves easily. The clutch plate is up against the idler bearing and the exterior of the clutch is rubbing on the housing, binding it. The clutch had past work, it does not look put together correctly, it needs to be compressed more. Well, the bolt that holds it down is a bit worn, not anymore, it is round after I had my time with it. So, off tomorrow for a bit more of rounded bolt removal.

Need some help with rebuilding the clutch so it is correct. This is the rear clutch that runs the track. HELP!

Blu
Blu jcw

Re: track won't turn

Post by Blu jcw »

Update
The secondary clutch nut is standard thread direction (right hand). It took us about two hours to remove by building a jig. Turns out the spacing is wrong on the secondary clutch. Comparing the clutch with the parts breakdown, it was rebuilt in the past incorrectly. It does not set far enough down on the shaft. I have tried to take it apart, after an hour I gave up, it will go to the dealer to get sorted.
jhje

Post by jhje »

If the in tank filter was coming apart, you might also want to clean the fuel pump. The paper will get in there and can cause fuel starving issues. Yammy does not make gaskets or a rebuild kit, but usually you can take apart and put back together without any problems.
Blu jcw

Post by Blu jcw »

The scoot has not run in years, and I cleaned all the fuel lines, it was flaking as I was removing it. Also added small filter before the carb. Where is the fuel pump? Is it on the side of the carb?

After all the fuel work, I had it running for about 10 minutes, no hesitation. Well, none other than that "track won't turn" crap. New clutch has been sourced, now the waiting.

Does anyone know the fuel line size? I want to buy a coil and replace some of the harder lines.
Blu jcw

Post by Blu jcw »

found the issue with the clutch hitting the case and binding the drive system from turning...

The clutch cover overheated and warped. the cover does not have the dome to it anymore, it is bowed out, just slightly. Just received my replacement, and looking for a used clutch cover to keep as a spare.