found my cold start problem

Post all Technical Questions and answers on Scoots and Sports here
Yamagirl

found my cold start problem

Post by Yamagirl »

I found out why a 88 sno-scoot, wouldn't start cold. :D In the carb, on the fuel pick up there is a tiny tiny hole. It is on the fuel enrichment side. ( the side with the brass plug). Carb cleaner and air pressure did not clean out this hole. I used a garbage bag wire tie with the paper stripped off of it. I inserted the wire into the hole. Apparently this is where the fuel enrichment valve gets it's initial fuel to start cold. If you think that the fuel enrichment passage is dirty also (mine was) you may have to remove the brass plug. The way I removed it was I drilled a tiny hole in it and inserted a screw into the hole and pulled it out. The brass plug is about 1/4 " long so if you are carefull you may not have to drill all the way though. I didn't know this and did drill all the way though the plug, so when I had the plug out I used some gas tank repair putty to plug the drilled hole in the brass. It sets up nice and hard. After I cleaned out that passage I reinstalled the brass plug. The sno-scoot starts on the 3rd kick when it is cold, every time. I hope this helps someone else save some time. If someone does find this helpfull PLEASE reply to this thead because I am 95% sure this was my problem but I would love to know if it worked for someone else.