Proper successful Carb cleaning /enricher info

Post all Technical Questions and answers on Scoots and Sports here
shermanpup

Proper successful Carb cleaning /enricher info

Post by shermanpup »

1989 scoot sat for 4 years without being started.Got kicker working.Cleaned out mouse nests made from air cleaner foam in air box and coolant fan.Drained gas tank .Replaced in tank filter ,fuel lines,fuel line tee ,added fliter right before carb hookup,cleaned carb with spray can.Could not get jets loose.Scoot started and went for a small ride under half throttle with little snow.I did not think I had a carb problem
Replaced track .Put in rings,bearing and gaskets.air filter, fixed minor stuff.Re-assembled .Noticed that enricher was not moving and stuck in the on position.Tried to remove enricher plunger but it was stuck .Sprayed a bunch of carb cleaner and let it sit for a day and it finally came loose .It needed an upper o ring.Now the enricher was going up and down.Started it up and it ran ,but died when enricher was shut off.Came to the fact that it can run on the enricher circuit only intil it warms ,up which takes awhile.
SOLUTION Yammie carb dip.1 coffee can, 4 cups water to slight boil,then add 2 cups carb dip.hold carb by wires and dip in cleaner,When you see it really start to flow and loosen gunk, then reduce heat and soak for at least 10 minutes, keeping the switch and wires out of the liquid.Remove carb, jets will now come out .Repeat"almost boil clean" again 10 minutes with carb and removed jets in the cleaner.Used hand parts sprayer that attaches to air compressor and draws fluid too.First with cleaner we heated ,then straight water ,then straight compressed air.Re sprayed entire carb and jets with spray can carb clean to remove any water or loose gunk.installed jets.and carb.Scoot fired up onenricher and continue to run when enricher was off.No snow until tomorrow but rode it with wheels on the skis .Went to almost full throttle with no bogging.Supposed to get 6-12 in. of snow tonight in northern Indiana.I will ride it harder and longer tomorrow for a better test,but I am sure the carb dip is the answer for more than just me.Don't buy an overpriced replacement carb before trying the dip.Happy new year!!
Blu jcw

Re: Proper successful Carb cleaning /enricher info

Post by Blu jcw »

Shermanpup-

Haven't even uncovered my scoots this year, no snow, no frost in the ground yet, wow!

To reflect on the message sent to me about the fuel primer installation. I wanted an easy way to prime the system cause one of my machines is kick start and sitting there kicking it is absurd. Just about every other piece of equipment I own has starter primers, so I felt this could be a good fit. I found no information on how to do it. My answer was a marine bulb primer, little swishy bulb with fuel line nipples on each side.

I replaced all the fuel lines on the machine. While doing so, I added this primer bulb just after the fuel shut off under the frame rail. It also made an easy place to drain down the tank at the end of the season and still able to run out the fuel system dry. This not only made for easy starting, it is easy to drain and summerize the machine. On a side note, the easier to start - the less wear you will place on the kick start gears, which I did have to replace.

Hope this helps.
shermanpup

Re: Proper successful Carb cleaning /enricher info

Post by shermanpup »

Hello Blu
I couldn't send you any info back because when I opened your email there was no address for reply,same from jhje.I will look closer.

The Yamaha carb dip is available at the dealer for $12.99 for 32 oz..Enough for 2 cleaning sessions.(4 cups water and 2 cups cleaner in a coffee can on the stove)

I am trying to visualize your primer setup ,but don't completely understand yet.(My enricher works good and scoot starts right up).I would like to ask both of you some more questions.

Learned a little more about scoots.If your power flattens out from 3/4 throttle to full throttle or even sooner,chances are your clutch weights have "flat spotted".I took my clutch apart today and the weights were flat spotted.I got this info from the snoscoot.com (freedom cycle )service manager .There are 2 different weights available 5g6-17632-00-00 @ $2.25 each (these are the stock weights) or 30a-17632-00-00 which cost 5.10.I ordered the stock ones .If the more expensive weights are heavier ,then it is probably for the engagemnent to start at a lower rpm for kids.That is just my guess .Feel free to correct me if this is wrong