Starting scoot in different temps

Post all Technical Questions and answers on Scoots and Sports here
rwhite

Post by rwhite »

Hi all, was wondering if anyone has any info on why my sno scoots would start real easy in warm weather (above 30F),and when cold need a spray of starting fluid in the carb? They run equally well in both warm and cold, but start very different. Also, if the starting fluid has any negative affects on the engine.

Thanks, Rich
neversinksmith

Re: Starting scoot in different temps

Post by neversinksmith »

i have the same problem w/ my scoot. it starts right up when the temp. is +35* but when its colder than that it doesnt want to start. for some reason when i remove the fuel fill cap, it starts. like there is vapor lock. give this a try. God bless
jhje

Post by jhje »

First of all I would never use starting fluid to start a sled, very hard on the engine. Hard start cold only probably means carb enrich cable not working right and or carb choke ciruit dirty. Pull carb off with enricher/choke cable still attached to carb. Just undo plastic nut that holds cable, by flip lever. Clamp carb in vice very carefully, with one round throat of carb against a jaw. Put a rag over jaws. Remove starter plunger assembly (choke enricher) from carb. Use carb cleaner and air to clean out carb passage and plunger itself. Screw it back into carb. With a flashlight you can look through hole and see if plunger is going up and down when up flip lever up and down. If plunger goes down and closes off "window" hole you are looking into it is working properly. IF plunger is sticky in bore, clean it up with 1000 grit paper and some oil, by light sanding/polishing it. Clean it and blow it off before installing it. Since carb is off, you might as will put in vice upside down and take off float bowl so you can clean carb. Remove the pilot, main and main nozzle jets. Make sure you have a very good flat blade screwdrive when you do this. Make sure the screwdriver you use to remove the main nozzle, does not scrape the id of threads in carb. If nozzle is tight, spray wd40 or some other penetraiting fluid on nozzle (in hole) and let it soak. They come out very hard sometimes, be patient. Again clean passages with carb clean and blow them out. Put jets back in making sure you do not tighten them to tight. The main nozzle can get dirt/film build up in the small side holes, make sure they are clean. By holding nozzle in light you should be able to see through the side holes. I suggets replacing intank filter and even adding a small inline filter before carb. Don't forget to put black rubber plug back in hole that pilot jet is in. Crank seals that are worn, don't help cold starting either. If the leak (don't seal properly) the engine cannot pull enough to draw gas in during cold starting. But before you put in new seals, there is another much cheaper solution. Put a primer on for cold starting. This way you do not have to use enrich cable at all. Just 2-3 primes and Scoot should start up. The kick start Scoot are harder to start than electric, the electric seem to crank them over fast enough to pull gas in for cold starting. If you put primer on let me know I can send you pics (for fitting location) and the fitting itself that needs to be put in carb. All you need to do is drill small hole in intake side of carb to put hose on. By putting primer on my kick start Scoots it makes them start 100% better when they are cold. Hope this helps.
bcevans

Post by bcevans »

I would be very interested in seeing where you put the primer.

Could you please send me the photos of how you installed it?

Thanks.
Cory76

Post by Cory76 »

I also have a primer on mine and it starts 2-3 kicks in any temp, as long as I shut the fuel off after each use. I choke it and give it 3 pumps on the primer.
LawlerClan

Post by LawlerClan »

If anyone has anymore details around the primer, I am interested.

TIA
Chip
rwhite

Post by rwhite »

Are there any directions and or pics around here on how to put the primer described above on a sno scoot carb? Thanks