Sno Scoot Runs Sporadically

JoeB

Post by JoeB »

My son's scoot sometimes cranks right over and other times cranks and cranks with no start. When it runs, it will sometimes stall and then not restart until it feels like it. The carb was rebuilt with new jets, float, etc. New gas. New plug. If I give it a shot of ether, it usually fires right up. Anyone have any suggestions?
jhje

Post by jhje »

If it is kick start only and not electric start, I have put primers on them. THIS will take case of the hard cold starting. This just tees into fuel line, runs to primer and other line runs to carb. A small hole needs to be drilled in air intake side of carb for the (hose) fitting. The primer I put by the existing enricher (choke) lever, just need to drill 1/2" hole for this. With this primer there is NO need to use the enricher. If runs bad sometime, and you believe carb was cleaned up and rebuilt properly, then check the enrichner cable, if this cable DOES not go down all the way, it holds up enricher valve and the vehicle will run rich (run ok when wide open throttle) but will run rough and or stall when letting off throttle or coming back to and idle. To check this pull off carb, leave the enrichner cable attached to carb, just take off plastic nut and slide lever through the hole. Take a flashlight and look in hole by cable on carb, and you can see the brass fitting move up and down. If it moves slow, when pulling or releasing cable, or does NOT go down all the way, this is may be the problem. If valve does not go down all the way(close) it is like running with choke on. I have never had a carb I could not clean up, and get to run ok, any dirt in any jet is a big problem. I have primer kits available with fitting and proper drill bit, paperwork shows were to drill hole, splice hose etc. It is not that hard to install. E mail me with any questions.
JoeB

Post by JoeB »

J, mine is electric start. I will check to see that the choke is retracting all the way. The primer idea reminds me of my wife's old Gran Touring that had the primer. Ski Doo did away with that for some reason and her new Gran Touring has the regular choke lever. Is there a reason why the primer is for the kick start only?
jhje

Post by jhje »

Yes, the electric start rolls over faster, continuing to pull fuel in. Sometimes the lever will move but the plunger can be stuck in place.