New 1975 340 s/t

Jack

Post by Jack »

Just bought a 1975 340 s/t that has been sitting in a garage since 1989. Are there any things I need to do before trying to fire it up?

How do I check the chain box lube? It looks like the plastic surface the track runs on is coming out of the back of the track. How is this replaced? I have about a thousand more questions if anyone can help :)

Thanks
440 MERC T T

Post by 440 MERC T T »

Jack, it would be a good idea to install new crank seals, have the carbs cleaned, make sure no old gas left in, check all bearings for rust especially the wrist pin, wrist bearing, and con-rod boss. I had a wrist pin failure before and it ruined the piston, barrel,& head. The chaincase holds 3 ounces or 88cc of lube that you might as well change too as well as the jackshaft and driveshaft bearings. There is a small bolt at the front of each slide rail that holds the plastic sliders in place, they could be broke. The slides pull right out the back of the track, that is how you change them. Your classic sled has been sitting for 14 yrs, this is what I would do at least. Jeff