76S/T VS 76 SRX

dsmith25

76S/T VS 76 SRX

Post by dsmith25 »

Can someone point me in the right direction on clutching a 76 S/T for a 1000 ft drag on ice. My buddy's 76 SRX stays with me out of the hole and then pulls 3 sled lengths on me in mid range. I have more top end with 22 tooth top gear but I still can't catch him. I'm running a stock secondary and a 102C primary with a tellow spring and c dump weights. Engagement is 5500 and it holds 8700 across the pond. I have a lot of respect for the Yamaha but a twister can beat them can't they? :oops:
marshalljoe

Post by marshalljoe »

1000 feet is pretty far head to head with an SRX. We raced the S/T 20+ years ago and that engine should keep climbing on the tech. We ran 750 ft back in the day and would be completely shifted out at 60-70 feet. The engine would take it from there and cross the line @ 10k+ and still be pulling. I know we had the biggest stock gear in that we could get. That engine needs the stock piston to run at that level. We tried wisco and it just wasn't the same. We ran stock AA and made the finals of the world series with it so I know you can run with the SRX . As far as clutching we ran the stock clutches. The hex is a great drag clutch you just need to keep it really clean and replace the bushing often. I can't remember what we had in it for springs or weights but I do remember that we ran the secondary at @ 7lbs. That is if you put a scale on the movable sheath and when it broke open it would read 7lbs. Do you know what you are running at 750 ft? I know we were in the 7.4 range. Good luck on taking the yamadog down!

Joe
jm