New to Trailtwister...have some ?'s

accobra66

New to Trailtwister...have some ?'s

Post by accobra66 »

My dad passed away in early September and I inherited his 75 Trailtwiser. He had restored the sled 15 years ago and after cleaning the carbs, cleaning the gas tank, removing the rear suspension to replace a part it roared to life Friday night. I have a few questions and I am hoping somebody can help me out...

1.) What gap should the plugs be set at?
2.) What is the chain case capacity? (75W/90 Gear Oil?)
3.) The drive belt on the sled when I picked it up is narrower than the spare belt he had for it. What is the proper width belt? The belt on it sits down inside the secondary by 1/8" to 1/4". If I put the wider belt on it I am sure it will sit flush with the top of the secondary. Which is correct?
4.) Where can I get new float bowl gaskets? (Mine cracked when I pulled the carbs apart but do not need to be leaking.)
5.) Where do most people have the rear suspension set at? There are three adjustment spots for the front swing arm assembly. Mine is set in the middle. There are also four different tensions that you can set the front sprigs at (by rotating the square spring plates on the inside of the tunnel).
twisted76

Post by twisted76 »

The merc manual only lists Perma gap spark plugs.
You don't have to gap them because you can't.
They don't have an electrode hanging down like a regular plug.
I don't know if you can even buy them but here are the original part numbers

340 TT Champion QN-19V
440 TT Champion N-19V

The only thing I can find out about the chaincase is it listed 3 ounces of automatic transmission fluid type A, AA or Dextron.

You can probably get the float bowl gasket at any snowmobile shop or small engine repair shop. They are Mikuni carbs that were used on alot of snowmobiles and other motors.

The carburetor part numbers are
340TT Mikuni VM 32-91 (VM 32)
440 TT Mikuni VM VM 36-25 (VM 36)

Suspension settings are up to you. The heavier you are you need to put them on the higher settings. I wouldn't worry about it and set it on any middle setting. Compared to newer sleds this doesn't have any suspension, just stuff to keep the track in place.