Clutch repalcement

TNT

Clutch repalcement

Post by TNT »

Hi my name is Jason ,I am new to this site,also I just picked up 2 Trail Twisters 440 ,1 is a 76 440 and the other might be a 75 as I am not sure yet.

My first question is to any one with more knowledge then I is how can I dettermine the difference between the years.

Another question- if I wanted to put a brand new clutch on them what should I buy.

Thanks for your help

Jason
440 MERC T T

Post by 440 MERC T T »

The easiest way to tell a '75 T/T from a '76 is the '75 will have a blue decal on the hood under the headlight. If I was going to buy a new clutch for a 440 T/T it would be a Gold Magnum Quick Shift. I have put over 1000 miles on mine through all kinds of trail conditions including grass drags, snow drags and radar runs. 3,800 engagement, it's a good all round clutch. I can send you pic's of a '75 and '76 if you like.
Drivebelt

Post by Drivebelt »

Well Jason, it's about time you gave up on those old TNTs and got some performance sleds. :wink: Looking at the pics on ACSCC, I would say you have a 75 and a 76. Does the 75 have an aluminum bellypan or just those side-pods??? The 75 has a longer front arm in the skid that is mounts near the footrest, the 76 front arm is shorter and mounts further back.
TNT

Post by TNT »

440 merrc T/T

Thanks for advise on clutches ,i will be looking into them,I have not heard of them or where to purchase but i'm sure someone up here in the north will,Thanks again.

Drivebelt

Hey John,the 75 has a aluminum pan not original of coarse so that will be the first thing to purchase,I have not had both sleds side by side as of yet to compare them for difference's but soon.John what do you reconmend for clutches.

P.S Anytime I want cruise around under 70 mph i ride the TNT's and any other time I am in a hurry or i want to twist a trail up I take a Trail twister..lol
Drivebelt

Post by Drivebelt »

My 75 440 came with a Powerbloc clutch that I was going to change, but it really works well so I keep running it. My 76 440 had the original hex but the bushings are badly worn so I put a Comet 102C on it that came on another 440 parts-sled. It seems to work well in the few times I've run it. I don't even know how it is calibrated but it looks to be using a the same blue spring that Merc used in the stock hex. I think Jeff's Gold Magnum works great but he doesn't come out and sled anymore so I can't compare its performance to the Comet 102C. :lol: