Help 1972 Hurricane

mercfrank

Post by mercfrank »

I have just put my 72 hurricane back together and when i start it i have a problem with the track turning. I have the carb adjustment sit. And the track is turning the drive belt is sitting about 1/2 way down the clutch face. New drive belt on, do i need to take the clutch apart and clean it up. Thanks Frank[?:?::?:]
Let's ride.
merc644

Post by merc644 »

Hi Frank,
Either the clutch is stuck or you're using too fat a belt. The correct belt should be a Dayco Max 1093. If the clutch is stuck you can free it in a vise by removing the face - but look out! Do not remove the center bolt completely or that clutch will be in your face. If it sticks once, it will stick again unless the clutch is rebuilt. Good luck. <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mercfrank</i>
<br />I have just put my 72 hurricane back together and when i start it i have a problem with the track turning. I have the carb adjustment sit. And the track is turning the drive belt is sitting about 1/2 way down the clutch face. New drive belt on, do i need to take the clutch apart and clean it up. Thanks Frank[?:?::?:]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
mercfrank

Post by mercfrank »

Thanks for the info. I will take the clutch down. Frank<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by merc644</i>
<br />Hi Frank,
Either the clutch is stuck or you're using too fat a belt. The correct belt should be a Dayco Max 1093. If the clutch is stuck you can free it in a vise by removing the face - but look out! Do not remove the center bolt completely or that clutch will be in your face. If it sticks once, it will stick again unless the clutch is rebuilt. Good luck. <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mercfrank</i>
<br />I have just put my 72 hurricane back together and when i start it i have a problem with the track turning. I have the carb adjustment sit. And the track is turning the drive belt is sitting about 1/2 way down the clutch face. New drive belt on, do i need to take the clutch apart and clean it up. Thanks Frank[?:?::?:]
Let's ride.