Help!! Need 76 340TT Clutch Center to Center Distance

snobiz

Help!! Need 76 340TT Clutch Center to Center Distance

Post by snobiz »

Can anyone look up or recall what the clutch center to center distance is for a 76 TT 340?

I'm new to Merc TT's and still in the process of aquiring technical manuals. I have yet to find this information on the web.

My problem is my belt is being worn away on the inside cog portion of the belt from the hex bushing on the AC clutch. The belt is the correct Merc OE belt. I had reinstalled the motor and got the offset correct, but I susspect the center to center distance between the clutches is to far apart. When installing the motor, I remembered the motor plate motor mount holes did not provide or at least didn't appear to provide, any adjustment of the clutch center to center distance. Can anyone tell me the dimension and describe how the adjustment is made? :?
twisted76

Re: Help!! Need 76 340TT Clutch Center to Center Distance

Post by twisted76 »

The only way to adjust is to place horseshoe washers under the front engine mounting plate bolts if it is too far apart
or under the rear mounts if it is too close together. Basically you are tilting the engine back or forward too make the adjustment. Take proper size washers and cut one side out to make them look like horseshoes and slide them in place.
My manual doesn't list distance, just 1 1/2 inch sag in top middle of belt when pushed down by hand
meklke

Re: Help!! Need 76 340TT Clutch Center to Center Distance

Post by meklke »

My center to center distance is 12" however I have 2" of slack in my Dayco Topmax TMX 1078 belt. This is the belt that Bob at Image recomends. My belt tension is too loose and I am having low end "bog". The manual states that you can "loosen the 4 engine mount plate attaching locknuts. Move the engine assembily forward or backward". It states that the mount plate is slotted. I have moved that mount plate full forward an still have a lose belt.