'74 T/T 400 Runs, Bogs, Drops Cylinder, etc...

yellowlab2

'74 T/T 400 Runs, Bogs, Drops Cylinder, etc...

Post by yellowlab2 »

So, the 400 F/A Twister I recently traded for has a serious mystery issue! Starts up easily, runs on both cylinders, then BOGS and drops a cylinder, then may catch again, then you give it some gas and it'll bog and drop the other cylinder. Switch the plugs and the same thing happens, sometimes the other cylinder will drop instead...back in the day, the original owner had replaced the the Prestoliet CDI with a Sno-Stuff one (but I don't know if this CDI ever worked properly or not). Carbs are clean as a whistle, and both sides are getting fuel (fuel is fresh) compression is good on both sides. It REALLY seems electrical, as when it drops the cylinder it will pop and sound like it's going to catch...Don't think it can be a coil, because it's not the same cylinder that drops each time. Have had the flywheel off and found a couple of bare wires, and have taped them up. Replaced the trigger coil (just in case) with a "new" one. I suspect the CDI is the issue..but, the wires to the Sno-Stuff CDI were all cut from the original plugs, and re-wired into that CDI...I have what I believe to be a good Prestolite CDI (are the Kohler fan ones the same??), but because of the dog's breakfast of wires, I'm not sure which wire goes wherel into the Prestolite CDI!! Any Twister experts out there that can help??? Thanks, in advance.