32 years in storage

paultwister

32 years in storage

Post by paultwister »

Just pulled my 440 twister out after 32 years of sitting, I had the engine rebuilt by the dealer in 1981 and ran it only one weekend after the rebuild that same year.
Brought it into the garage yesterday, cleaned the tank and carbs new fuel lines put fresh gas and she fired up after a few pulls, It idled very high, After fooling around with the carb for some time but to no avail, she still idles very high until warmed up and only then it starts to settle down. (about 10 minutes) I can vaguely remember the same issue when I was running this thing back in the day. Is this normal ? Why does it do this?, I am thinking of doing crank seals but a little unsure if this high idle is normal.
paultwister

Re: 32 years in storage

Post by paultwister »

Great site but nobody is here.. LOL Juat pulled the heads and looks good,, Cylinders looks smooth no ridge but little compression 80 R /100 L lbs what are my options.. c'mon readers give me a hint.
frenchie

Re: 32 years in storage

Post by frenchie »

Hi paul twister...

Althought, I am a newcomber, and not very knowledgable in mecanical, I can tell you though, 80lbs and or 100 is not good !
I have 125 lbs on each, and I still have same pistons / rings since I own the sled, so I would say it could be even higher when top notch.
As for the iddling, I just don't know since I would think most of the time, this is the opposite that happen.

Just curious about your 440 carburators... are they VM 34 or 36 ?

bye