75 T/T hard starting

fpfever

Post by fpfever »

I just bought a 75 440 T/T when cold the sled starts up 1st or 2nd pull and runs great, after shutting it off if you wait just a few minutes and try to restart it it doesn't want to start. It does this if you drive it for any length of time or just let it idle for e few minutes. If you let it cool down it will start right up? Any help would be great.
440 MERC T T

Post by 440 MERC T T »

Check the e-clip setting on the carbs,I have a Merc service bulletin that recommends you put them in the top slot. Factory setting is to rich, Merc used a fatter jet needle in the '76's. My friends '76 always started with one pull , while I was working up a sweat on my '75. I use NJK B9ES set .020-.023. Jeff
SHewelt

Post by SHewelt »

The CDI or Stator may be failing. The heat expands the iron laminations on the stator, and lower output to the CDI is the result until things cool. Some CDI's did the same thing, but harder to isolate. Another problem could be vapor-locking. The under-hood temps can build-up, boiling off some of the fuel in the bowls. May be flooding the engine as fuel vents into the port, eventually vaporizing in the crankcase as time passes. Check your bowl vents & float levels (maybe replace the needle & seat). Next time you shut it off, open the hood & look at the vent tubes for purgeing. If it doesn't start when hot, check the plugs...wet or dry? If wet, probably what we just discussed. If dry, maybe vapor-lock...cool down the carb / manifold clamp area with snow, try starting again. Watch that you don't ice-up the throttle slides with too much snow! I never use my choke, rather added a primer to it. One or two pumps & it starts 1~2 pulls, even after sitting all year! It's an arm-saver....Scott

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by 440 MERC T T</i>
<br />Check the e-clip setting on the carbs,I have a Merc service bulletin that recommends you put them in the top slot. Factory setting is to rich, Merc used a fatter jet needle in the '76's. My friends '76 always started with one pull , while I was working up a sweat on my '75. I use NJK B9ES set .020-.023. Jeff
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">