74 snotwister

chris

Post by chris »

Chuck, I have a 74 sno twister I bought as a pile of mismatched parts. I intend to race it on a half mile oval. Have installed a good 75 engine, what I believe is a 75 aluminum skid, the 74 steel skid was awfully beat up. The 75 skid and rubber track bolts up, but is too tight. It looks like I need to move the skid mounting holes forward. Do you have some way of finding the dimension from the center of the drive shaft to the front skid mounting holes. Also could use info on what ramps, weights and spring to use in the hex clutch, along with setup for the secondary clutch, and where I might find these parts. Advice on what set up to use on 38 mikunis for this engine, stock with 74 pipes. Also would like to fing a copy of the twister tipster bullitins for the merc racers. I hope to have it ready to go in January. Thanks.
SHewelt

Post by SHewelt »

Chris,
The 74 suspension was different than the 75, as was the 76 suspension. The 75 suspension is a better choice, since the 74 could stab the track if the wheels failed. The 38mm Mikuni's are not stock, as 36mm was used in 75. Try somewhere around #400 for main jets & #35 for pilot jets. 400 may be rich, but better to start there. I can get needle & jet-needle info if you need also. The 75-440 ST used Green spring, 7.858 gram weights (0146-105) Black and ramps were unmarked. I can scan a profile if you need it. The secondary used the stock Merc / Arctic spring, go 2 full ramps rotation. All these Merc parts are typically available from Bill Wolf (NH), Lee Fredeerickson (MN) and IMAGE Enterprises (WI). All are very helpful. Hope this helps.
rob

Post by rob »

I see you have a 74 merc S/T. Do you still have the original engine for this machine? Pieces or parts? I would be interested in buying them.
Rob (phone number removed by moderator)
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by chris</i>
<br />Chuck, I have a 74 sno twister I bought as a pile of mismatched parts. I intend to race it on a half mile oval. Have installed a good 75 engine, what I believe is a 75 aluminum skid, the 74 steel skid was awfully beat up. The 75 skid and rubber track bolts up, but is too tight. It looks like I need to move the skid mounting holes forward. Do you have some way of finding the dimension from the center of the drive shaft to the front skid mounting holes. Also could use info on what ramps, weights and spring to use in the hex clutch, along with setup for the secondary clutch, and where I might find these parts. Advice on what set up to use on 38 mikunis for this engine, stock with 74 pipes. Also would like to fing a copy of the twister tipster bullitins for the merc racers. I hope to have it ready to go in January. Thanks.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

rob
rob