clutch BANGS!

merc-eric

Post by merc-eric »

I am starting a little project, a 76 T/T 440. the biggest problem mechanically seems to be the clutches CLATTER like crazy and the carbs are out of adjustment. first off I would like to get the clutches sorted out, as it seems to be only fine tuning with the carbs. so, when I start the sled the primary clatters like it will explode, but when revved it seems to actually stop above a certain rpm. cant recall what rpm it cleans up, been a while since I started it and played. thanks for any advice on what to look for, and links on clutch rebuilding would be nice too. Eric8)

snow, natures original "white gold"
SHewelt

Post by SHewelt »

I've never been a big fan of the ARCTIC hex-clutch, just too many moving parts to wear out. Find a COMET & install the A12 weights & Purple spring as they recommend. You would not believe the difference in performance! You can use the same belt too. Don't waste any more time on the ARCTIC clutch...save it to convert back to stock someday when you no longer want to ride it!!!!

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by merc-eric</i>
<br />I am starting a little project, a 76 T/T 440. the biggest problem mechanically seems to be the clutches CLATTER like crazy and the carbs are out of adjustment. first off I would like to get the clutches sorted out, as it seems to be only fine tuning with the carbs. so, when I start the sled the primary clatters like it will explode, but when revved it seems to actually stop above a certain rpm. cant recall what rpm it cleans up, been a while since I started it and played. thanks for any advice on what to look for, and links on clutch rebuilding would be nice too. Eric8)

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
merc-eric

Post by merc-eric »

thanks for the info! now the belt I have on it is a bit....terrible to say the least lol. what belt is best to use on this sled? I was looking in the Shade Tree book to see what I can get for the sled and it lists a belt for the 75 440 T/T but nothing for the 76. is there any difference? and another thing, do you have any idea where to get a parts manual with diagrams? even a copy, doesnt need to be original. thanks for any info you have!!! Eric

Mercury

Post by Mercury »

The Correct Mercury belt for the 76 TT is 57-74293 or 57-74294. The difference in numbers is the belt Manufacturer Gates and ?(don't remember right now.) These are also the belts that fit the Liquid cooled sleds. These OEM belts are very, very scarce

The correct cross over for these belts are DAYCO Max 2000.

Nothing else fits stock machines without major shimming.

Correct belt for the 75 is different.

I have a couple of NOS OEM Belts for these machines priced at $48 each plus shipping.

Bill
merc-eric

Post by merc-eric »

thanks for the info guys, it is of GREAT help!

merc-eric

Post by merc-eric »

well it has been a while since I have had a chance to play with the sled and further investigate the banging clutch. now that I look again, I realize that I can grab one side of it and move the other side by itself. can this be something as stupid as just tightening it up? thanks again, should have looked harder before I first posted. thanks again, Eric
merc-eric

Post by merc-eric »

I took apart the clutch (or at least the face off of it) and there seems to be a bushing on the faces where they slide over the hex shaft. is this replaceable? this is where I am getting the free play and want to get rid of it!