1971 Mercury Hurricane

stuff2cea

Post by stuff2cea »

My son is trying to get this snowmobile running, the problem is that one of the coils are dead. Is anyone aware of someplace that still has parts good used or new parts available?
Thanks

Dan
Mercury

Post by Mercury »

Switch wires goint to the coils from the CDI box. If the spark stays on the same coil the problem is a bad coil...If the spark jumps it is a bad CDI box or trigger unit.

I have used coils available.

Bill

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by stuff2cea</i>
<br />My son is trying to get this snowmobile running, the problem is that one of the coils are dead. Is anyone aware of someplace that still has parts good used or new parts available?
Thanks

Dan
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
stuff2cea

Post by stuff2cea »

Hi, sorry for taking so long to reply. We swapped wires on the coils and there is no spark. It does not have a CDI box. It has points, originally there was no spark at all. he popped off the flywheel and littly sanded the points. the one coil trhew a spark while the other had nothing, we then swoped wire on to the coil and the one set of points that was to the bad coil threw a spark.
It's a Mercury (Kiekhaefer)engine serial #3205795.The coil has 2 sets of (serial)numbers on them, one is on the sides it is 336-3955. The other is on the top between the + and - terminals, it is
336-4528. Once again it does not have a CDI box. it has points.
If you have a coil that would work let me know how much you need for it.

Sincerely,

Dan