No spark for 1972 Hurricane

Ryan2007

Post by Ryan2007 »

I started to work on my Mercury Hurricane and tested to see if the plugs sparked and they didn't. It has points but we don't know how to get to them. It has a 644 cc motor. Would there be anyother reason why we wouldn't have spark. How do you get the flywheel off of the motor. We tried but the hub that it's bolted, we don't know how to get it off. The points are located behind this hub. If anyone has any more information about these please post. Thanks Ryan
stuff2cea

Post by stuff2cea »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ryan2007</i>
<br />I started to work on my Mercury Hurricane and tested to see if the plugs sparked and they didn't. It has points but we don't know how to get to them. It has a 644 cc motor. Would there be anyother reason why we wouldn't have spark. How do you get the flywheel off of the motor. We tried but the hub that it's bolted, we don't know how to get it off. The points are located behind this hub. If anyone has any more information about these please post. Thanks Ryan
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Hi,
First you might want to check the kill switch. disconnect it and spin the engine over, I believe this will eliminate it, if it is the problem. Aside from that,,,
You need a puller. A vibration damper puller will work, it kinda looks like a peace sign with out the circle around it.You also need three 1/4" x approx. 2" long bolts fine thread and preferrably hardened ,and some washers. Put the bolts and washers through the slots of the puller and thread then into the flywheel. Take a 3/4" box end wrench or what ever wrench fits the end of the puller you have and start to turn it into the fly wheel. Once it is quit snug, tap the flywheel with a hammer. Remmember that the flywheel has magnets on the inside of it. So you want to hit it hard but not so hard that the magnets fly off nor get demagnitized. The flywheel is on a tappered shaft, so with the right amount of force on the puller and a few blows of the hammer it should pop lose. once you get it off DO NOT REMOVE THE POINTS. first try to sand them lightly by putting a very,very fine sand paper(emery cloth) between the points, then pulling it out with the points closed. Do this several times. set the flywheel on the shaft and from the opposite side of the engine(clutch side) use a rope to turn over the engine, check for sparks. If the engine has sat for some time they might just have a little rust on them.
If this doesn't work and you are interested in selling the coils let me know. My son has a 71 Hurricane. When we got it, it had the same problem. after all his work of getting the flywheel off and sanding the points. He found that one of his coils are shot.
On the flip side if you are serious about rebuilding yours let us know, he is on the fence now as to whether he should sell or fix his machine.

Dan
merc644

Post by merc644 »

I dont think a vibration damper puller will work - the Merc flywheel was designed for a different type of puller. I have a custom made puller that bolts to all four holes.