T/T cylinder problems

intrail44

Post by intrail44 »

I just rebuilt a 75 T/T 440 with the Kohler 440-2as fan motor. I installed the following new parts, 3 crank bearings, crank seals,. all new gaskets,2 brand new cylinders stock bore, 2 new stock pistons with rings,wrist pins and needle bearings. Pretty much a complete rebuild.I also rebuilt both carbs. Everything seemed to go together extremly smooth so I mounted the motor in the chasis and set all clutching specs, Hooked up all the fuel lines and electricals, primed the carbs and gave it a pull. She fired right up.Here is the dilemma. It idles very high and if I partially cover the pto side carb I can bring the idle down and maintain the idle at a good rpm. If I take my hand away it raises again. If I cover it completly the motor stalls from flodding. To make matters worse if I do the same to the mag side carb nothing happens. I have good spark and comp in both cylinders. Pleas Help!!!
SHewelt

Post by SHewelt »

OK, first check for spark on the MAG side. If it has spark, I'd look for an air-leak on the case-halves. Finding an air-leak is often difficult unless you seal & pressurize the engine. I assume the new crank seals are good. Idle problems may be that the throttle cable is not allowing the throttle slide to drop all the way down on the PTO side. Check this by removing the idle screw & see if the throttle slide drops down all the way, shutting off the air flow in the carb. The engine will not idle with the slides all the way down, unless it's getting air elsewhere (air-leak). Your problem may be as simple as the throttle slides are just out of sync & MAG isn't getting as much air as the PTO side is due to throttle cable settings. Does both sides hit when you rev it???

Check these few items first and see if you find anything...