Offering my Twister expertise

SHewelt

Post by SHewelt »

Great Site Bill! I can also offer any help on Sno or Trail Twisters, having owned all years....still own 4 T/T's & 4 76-ST's. I'll check back when I can, otherwise, feel free to e-mail me anytime. :?: Scott :?:
alpex3457

Post by alpex3457 »

What rpm should my trail twister run at?
SHewelt

Post by SHewelt »

I believe around 7000 RPM. You may spin it faster, but no point, as the torque curve falls off as RPM's increase. I've been away from the AS engine & working on the L/C's lately, so this is from memory.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by alpex3457</i>
<br />What rpm should my trail twister run at?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
chappy72

Post by chappy72 »

Hi Just wondering if there is an aftermarket tach out there to work with the prestolite ignition used on a k440as? Thanks
grease monkey

Post by grease monkey »

hey, my 440 TT has a cdi box on it that is not oem, so how do i know if its a prestolite system or not?, its a '76, the box is plastic and it says "snostuff' on it! help?
also, the 440 i have doesn't seem to rev as high as my 340, is that right, have no tach on the 340, and failed to read the other, what should they:) be?
SHewelt

Post by SHewelt »

It's just that, a SNOSTUFF CDI. They are imported replacements for Prestolites. All The Merc's originally had Prestolites, except the 76 Liquids. Some of the Kohlers were converted to Nippondenso systems (John-Deere & others used them), but Prestolite was the original. If you have spark & it runs, then run it!!! Some CDI's lasted forever, others failed when you shut them off, usually far from home. The 340 T/T will rev a bit higher than the 440, but not that much more. The 440 makes all kinds of power from 4000~7000RPM's...no sense reving any more as nothing good will come from it....a great FAN sled...my favorite in fact!...Scott

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by grease monkey</i>
<br />hey, my 440 TT has a cdi box on it that is not oem, so how do i know if its a prestolite system or not?, its a '76, the box is plastic and it says "snostuff' on it! help?
also, the 440 i have doesn't seem to rev as high as my 340, is that right, have no tach on the 340, and failed to read the other, what should they:) be?
MARK LAMBERT

Post by MARK LAMBERT »

SCOTT, I HAVE A 76 TT 340 WITH A COMET 102C PRIMARY CLUTCH, WHAT SHOULD I BE RUNNING FOR WEIGHTS AND WHAT COLOR SPRING THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.
SHewelt

Post by SHewelt »

COMET indicates the A12 arm (45.3g) and the Purple spring. I've used the A1 arm (48.5g) and the Silver spring on my 440 T/T with great luck...very quick up to 70mph. The lighter weights may be better on the 340, as the 440 can handle the faster upshift with more mid-torque. COMET did not specify the "cc". If you know anybody with a 1977-340 Boa-Ski SS, see if they will tell you what it had from the factory in it's COMET 102C. The calibration on the Boa's was pretty good & same engine as in the Twisters....Good luck....Scott~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MARK LAMBERT</i>
<br />SCOTT, I HAVE A 76 TT 340 WITH A COMET 102C PRIMARY CLUTCH, WHAT SHOULD I BE RUNNING FOR WEIGHTS AND WHAT COLOR SPRING THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.
fredro

Post by fredro »

Scott,

I have a 1976 TT 340, and wanted to know the intial settings on The carbs to start off with. It bogs a little at take off. I want to clean and re-tune the carbs. The compression is great and equal on both cylinders. Need all settings for carbs if you have it!

Thank You for Your Time!!!!