secondary clutch

LensSR440

Post by LensSR440 »

I have a 73 440 MAX and when it shifts it bogs down . I than have to stop or almost stop before it can rev up again. I believe I have the correct belt and it is new. I can open the secondary by have by pullingand twisting and it is not that hard to open. At a stop the mptor revs and sounds god and takes off good but as soon as the secondary opens it falls on it's face. Any clues as to where I should start to look at. I tend to think it is not carb or electric related. Thanks, Len
khr

Post by khr »

the stock merc belt # is D5763353 . i looked in the dennis kirk catolog and they have a belt . its a daycomax2 part # 1071M2. this belt measures 1 1/4 x 44 5/8 . start with this, it may be you have the wrong belt on. if not your right its in the secondary clutch. its shiften way to fast. or your spring has sprung. i think you may just have the wrong belt on. good luck
LensSR440

Post by LensSR440 »

Thanks much for the info. I have another merc sled that takes the same belt and it is shot so I am going to order this belt. I figured out what the problem was. It was the carb. The high speed jet was restricted and when the load of the shift was dumped on the motor there was not enough fuel to be delievered. This is just my theory. When I disassembled the carb, there are 3 little springs that are called spring valves and they were missing but I had another carb so I swapped them. I than finished cleaning the carb and installed it and took sled for a test drive and immediatly it ran better and opperated like new. I believe it had to be starving for fuel and the load of the shift was just enough to fall off. I could be totally wrong but that is the extent of my ability to understand.
Mercury

Post by Mercury »

Original Mercury betls 57-67633 is available from the host website at $24 each plus shipping.