74 SR 440 no spark

LensSR440

Post by LensSR440 »

Got one sled fine tuned and is perfect now. Now to the SR 440. This sled has sat and now does not run. If I remember correctly, it started to backfire when trying to start and now will not offer any spark whatsoever. I do have a matching sled so I swithed the coils because that is easy and fast and still no spark. I even put the coils from the non running sled on the running sled and it continued to run fine. So I can say that the plug wires, coils and wires to the coils are good. The points appear to be fine. I did lightly sand them with a fine paper and they gap is about .017 just as the good running sled. Neither ignition coil fire so my guess is the primary coil is the next thing to look at.

Update: I removed the points and cleaned all the components very good under the flywheel. After studying the parts manual I am thinking that the primary coil sends juice to the ignition coils. I have no spark to either Ignition coil so would it be reasonable to assume the primary coil is failing to do it's job? Grounds look good and wires from a visual appear to be good. Also am I correct in my assumption that the primary coil supplies both ignition coils and the other coil underneath the primary coil is for lighting accesories? Anyone here have any other clues as to what to check before I have to pay someone to fix it. I looked at all the wires to see if a mouse didnt chew through one and things appear to be intact. Len
LensSR440

Post by LensSR440 »

Update!!!!!!!!!! I have replaced the primary coil under the flywheel and now the sled runs. I did some testing on the old coil and I checked continuity between leads that go to condensers and it was open. I checked the new one before installation and it was closed so I was very happy.