76 sno twister timming

foo74

Post by foo74 »

I have been restoring a 76 sno twister 340. I have gone through the engine with new seals, pistons, bell housing. I reassembled every thing, and all the engine will do try to start but not stay running ,spits and fires. I have installed a new fuel pump gone through the carbs, I do not think fuel is my problem. I would like to check the timming, I would like an easy way to find TDC and time it, I understand the triggers on these machines are tricky. I have been working on this project for some time now and I am trying to get it giong for the I-500 prade lap. help

Mike (foo74)
SHewelt

Post by SHewelt »

Timing should be around 21* BTDC if I recall for a 340. You need to have it running to check this using a timing light. If you are running the orange coils, start by replacing them with Blue coils. Also, take a close look at the insulation on the Blue & RED stator wires....they typically rotted & caused arcing, which will do exactly as you described when they lose insulation. The wires can be replaced by somebody experienced, but be careful when probing around the stator...the wires are very fine & voltage is very high.