which comet clutch on TT 440?

twist76

Post by twist76 »

I'm picking up a 76 TT 440 in a month and have found out that the factory cat clutches that come on the tt's are junk. Which Comet clutch would be the best for performance but still able to trail ride?
SHewelt

Post by SHewelt »

Go with a comet 102C, purple spring and A12 arms...basically what is specified by comet...works great.
marshalljoe

Post by marshalljoe »

Why is everyone so down on the cat clutches? We dragged a 76 st 250-340-440 for years and loved them. You just need to keep them clean and replace the center bushings when they start showing wear. They can't be that bad we mad the finals at the world series running them. Just my 2 cents.
jm
geiman

Post by geiman »

I'm with you Marshalljoe. The hex bushing is the only wear problem.
They work well for a long time after replacement. They would run for years on trail sleds. Very durable.

I think most believe that because it's an older design it's not as good.

It's much easier to tune imo.

There's not much tech support anymore. Although I know that Arctic Cat is committed to support their older products. I can't remember when they stopped using the hex clutch. Sometime in the late 80's, maybe the 1989 Jag was the last.

Peace,
SHewelt

Post by SHewelt »

The ARCTIC clutch is a proven Drag winner, but the backshifting isn't nearly as good as a COMET or Polaris. The ARCTIC clutch does require more maintenance too. It's not a bad stock clutch when in good shape, I've just have had better performance luck trial-riding racing using the comet / polaris types.
fastwin

Post by fastwin »

my cat clutch was badly worn and with no quickly available parts i grabed a 101 comet off my john deere, i phoned comet directly and talked to don, who was very friendly and helpfull. he informed me this is tha same clutch as a 102 and can be calibrated the same as a new 102, it works great, even in deere spec it hits 7200 and seems too shift fine with the stock cat secondary. i thought this would be good to know as i see a fair number of old deeres etc. that use a comet clutch.
929rog

Post by 929rog »

There are two purple springs.. which one??
poiboys

Post by poiboys »