74 Sno-Twister restore.

elwesso

Post by elwesso »

Hello fellow mercury snowmobile enthusiasts, ive been a long time reader but I finally decided to post... Every winter as the white stuff starts to fall, I try and get a winter project (since I do my car thing during the summer)... last winter I tried to get our 6x6 (1970's max) but failed at that due to it requiring too much money to make it work, maybe in a few years.

ANYWAY, this year its on to the next best thing, our pristine 1974 Sno Twister. Pretty sure its a 340, its air cooled i know. It was bought new by my uncle back in the day, and he stopped using it about 15 years ago (last registration was 1992)... He put it away running very nicely, or so he tells me. Last winter, I got this thing out of its storage (indoors with a cover over it) and its still in really nice condition. I took the carbs out and cleaned them up really good, but the rest of the fuel systme is in need of some serious help. Checked spark and its got great spark, hopefully I wont have to worry about my CDI unit just yet.

Basically IM looking for any pointers you guys may have. at this point, im just going to replace all the fuel hoses with new and hope she runs good... Please advise me on what to do. Overall the sled is in great shape, cosmetically its mint except for some rust on the handlebars and on the struts (not surprising for sitting for a long time)...
merc-eric

Post by merc-eric »

sounds like you have a pretty good handle on what to do! might be worth replacing the gaskets in the fuel pump and carbs as well, just as a preventitive measure. but, get it running and see if anything leaks. check the carb boots and see if they have any cracks too. good luck and let us know how it goes!
snow, natures original "white gold"
frank

Post by frank »

74twister 340 400 if it has radial style heads merc had no liquid cooled sleds, kohler motors .