76 T/T crank seal

merc-eric

Post by merc-eric »

is this an actual gasket that seals the case together (top and bottom halfs) or form-a-gasket? thanks!
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a93/er ... G_3404.jpg
snow, natures original "white gold"
John B.

Post by John B. »

I know the free-air Kohler has a rubber gasket to seal the cases but I can't remember whether the fan motors use one. I use gasket maker on both motors.
merc-eric

Post by merc-eric »

thanks. what do you use for pullers on the flywheel and the clutch?? thanks again!
John B.

Post by John B. »

I use a puller designed to pull the hex clutch, you can get them through Dennis Kirk or other shops. I made my own puller for the flywheel but you can get hub pullers that can be modified. I used a piece of steel plate with a 1/2" bolt through the centre and holes that line up with the holes that the recoil starter hub bolts to. Put a bolt through the plate and into these holes. Tighten the centre bolt against the end of the crank and turn until it pops the flywheel off.
merc-eric

Post by merc-eric »

sounds like an easy enough thing to make (flywheel puller that is) any chance you have some pics of it, so I can hopefully make my own? thanks! Eric
440 MERC T T

Post by 440 MERC T T »

Liquid sealant is used between crankcase halfs, I use Threebond 1104.
WHYICE

Post by WHYICE »

One must examine the environment in which the gasket material is going to be in. In this case, the gasket material is going to see fuel and oil. I use a flurosilcone rtv that can withstand that environment. Typical RTV WILL NOT!!!. I work for a silicone manufacturer and when specifying materials that are going to see fuel we recommend this type of material. In test in the labs the typical RTV will fall apart or totally dissolve.

So look for a fuel resistant silicone rtv. Dow Corning Corporation has one and it is called 730 rtv.

Also, clean the surface extremely well. Use mineral spirits and then follow it up with rubbing alcohol or acetone. A clean surface will ensure that the material will adhere. After assembly, let it cure at least 3 - 5 days to make sure it is cured. These products cure by moisture from the air and it takes a while for the moisture to migrate thru the flange when assembled.

Have Fun!!!
WHYICE

Post by WHYICE »

When sealing the crank case, one should use a sealant that is resistant to both oil and fuel. Typical rtv sealants are not. I use a Flurosilicone that is also fuel resistant as well as oil resistant. I work for a silicone manufacturer in Michigan and know from first hand experience that typical rtv will fail or even dissolve in this type environment. Dow Corning Corporation makes a product call 730 Solvent Resistant sealant that works well. I don't know where you can purchase it, but look at your local Auto parts store and get the rtv that is fuel/solvent resistant.
Also, before you apply, clean the surface extremely well using mineral spirit and follow that up with rubbing alcohol or acetone. No matter what you use to seal it this should still be done. The cleaner the surface the better the adhesion.