Removing Choke Cable (labelled Starter) from Carb

Post all Technical Questions and answers on Scoots and Sports here
jbszee

Removing Choke Cable (labelled Starter) from Carb

Post by jbszee »

How do you remove the Choke (Starter) Cable from the Carburetor????
I took the carb off, and could not see any way to get it out.
The Toggle switch on the panel is broken off, and I have a new switch to replace it. But I can't figure out how to get the plunger out of the carb body.

I unscrewed the choke adjustor all the way, and there is some dirt and rust in the hole.
If the plunger is supposed to come out from above, it is definitely stuck. But I don't want to yank on the plunger & cable if it is supposed to be removed from below.

I'm thinking that getting the choke working properly will help with starting, as I have to use a squirt or two of starter fluid. Also, the engine bogs down at higher throttle.

Thanks, in advance.
-j
Last edited by jbszee on Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mercury

Re: Removing Choke Cable (labelled Starter) from Carb

Post by Mercury »

It comes out from the top. Remove the 1" long brass bezel that the cable goes through. The cable should still be attached to the interior plunger. Lots of penetrating oil before you try to give it a yank.
jhje

Post by jhje »

If you have to buy a new enricher cable and other parts, you may be better off just putting a primer on. Scoot will start 10 times easy that with enrich cable and with kids you don't have to worry about them not flipping it off. If interested in were I located my Scoot primer and carb fitting e me and I can send some pics. You will need to take jets out of carb and clean all three of them. There is a jet under the rubber plug and one in center hole were boat bolt was/goes in. If you cannot get them out, get back with me I have a few tricks to get them out. MAKE sure you use correct size screwdriver when removing jets, otherwise they round off in a heartbeart. The main nozzle jet in the center make sure screwdriver is not to wide, or you may damage internal threads of carb.
jbszee

Post by jbszee »

The choke Plunger is really stuck in the carb body. Are you sure it is supposed to come out the top? I can soak some oil or WD40 in there to see if it will come loose. But I don't want to try to pull it out the top if it is supposed to be removed from the bottom of the carb body. It looks like some water got to the plunger or cable, as there is some rust and grit on the plunger.

Also, I've tried to order new jets. I'm at about 5000 feet altitude, and running anywhere from -10 to +40F. The manual suggests main jet #101.3 and pilot jet #65. Boats.Net site shows MJ101.3 as OBSOLETE. It doesn't even list PJ#65, and PJ#62.5 is also OBSOLETE. Is there anyplace to get aftermarket jets?

While I'm in there, should I get new Main Nozzle or Needle Valve Assembly?

And I would greatly appreciate any help with the primer issue.

Many thanks.
-j
Blu jcw

Post by Blu jcw »

I am new here, although I have owned a scoot for 20 years, since new. It has an electric start and never had any serious issues with it. For that reason I am looking to buy another for my kids, I found one with a stripped kick start gear.

Are these easy to fix?

Also, I would want to put a primer on the carb, as this almost new-to-me one is a kick start model. I remember that it was easier to buy a battery over the years than kick start my unit. Please forward any information to me.

Thanks. Blu
Blu jcw

Post by Blu jcw »

Jhje

Please PM me your email. I am not authorized to send PMs, only receive them, so I can not contact you. I am interested on how to clean up the primary clutch and the primer location. Where do you get the parts needed for the primer install? Do you have part numbers or a parts website?

Blu
bstat1020

Post by bstat1020 »

I will be adjusting my choke cable this weekend as I think this is the cause of my starting problems. I have to kick the SnoSport about 30 times to get it to start. I think the choke cable is too tight causing too much fuel to go into the carb. ONce it starts it is great. But kick starting that thing 30 times hurts a guy!