SnoScoot/SnoSport- Battery not staying charged/kick starting

Post all Technical Questions and answers on Scoots and Sports here
bstat1020

SnoScoot/SnoSport- Battery not staying charged/kick starting

Post by bstat1020 »

Hello, just joined the forum. I have owned a SnoScoot and a SnoSport since I was 10 years old. I still have them and now am having a great time watching my kids enjoy them. A couple of problems with each of them though.

The Sno-Scoot runs great. The problem is the battery. It seems to die very quickly. I trickle charge it this morning for a couple hours, and it started right up using the electric start. We took a lunch break and came back out to ride it some more. The battery didnt have enough juice to turn it over. I just kick started it and rode. Do I simply need a new battery or something else?

The SnoSport runs great once I get it started. It takes me about 30 kick starts for it to start. That is not fun at all. What do I need to do here?
I have heard of people starting sleds with an electric drill by putting a socket on the clutch bolt. IS that possible with a SnoSport and SnoScoot?

Thanks,

Bstat
bstat1020

Re: SnoScoot/SnoSport- Battery not staying charged/kick star

Post by bstat1020 »

Looks like I have the SnoScoot battery issue resolved. I just trickle charges it overnight and added some water. Seems to be fine so far.

Any advice on kick starting the SnoSport more easliy? How about the drill method, anyone heard of this?

Thanks,

Bstat
Fleabagz

Post by Fleabagz »

Bstat-
I have two Scoots and had the same issue with both of them. It would take sometimes 50 kicks and then run great all day. In both cases it came down to dirty carbs. I cleaned them dozens of times before the problem went away. One of my Scoots was in someones backyard for 10 years before I got it, so this one was particularly finicky. These carbs are so small they get clogged very easy. Many things can contaminate them: rotting air filter particles, old fuel left in carb (varnish), sediment in fuel tank, etc. Once you get the jets out and get the carb and fuel system real clean, you need to clean the tiny hole on the main stem that goes into the bowl. The hole is so small that my 45 year old eyes can barely see it. Typically, if it is hard to start, this little hole is clogged. I use a small piece of wire to clean it out.
Let me know how you make out.
Phil
image of carb and small hole that needs to be cleaned regularly
image of carb and small hole that needs to be cleaned regularly
scoot carb.jpg (133.97 KiB) Viewed 5655 times
bstat1020

Post by bstat1020 »

Thanks Fleabagz! I cleaned up the carb and reset the choke cable and it starts on the first kick now. Thanks alot friend!

I just need some snow now!!
Fleabagz

Post by Fleabagz »

that's great to hear!
My kids rode once and there really wasn't enough snow - I just couldn't say no after they had been waiting so long.
Here it is Feb and it was 50 degrees on Monday. :(