89 Scoot fuel issue--wont rev up

Post all Technical Questions and answers on Scoots and Sports here
jktaresco

89 Scoot fuel issue--wont rev up

Post by jktaresco »

Can't seem to get my engine rpm going. Starts on first kick without a problem, but give it gas and it just bogs down. I removed the carb and had it cleaned throughly in an ultrasonic cleaner for 2 hours! I cecked the choke plunger and made sure it was seating properly also. I then removed the fuel pump and took it apart but it seems fine. Before I spend $$ on a new carb, wondering if I am missing something else?
jhje

Re: 89 Scoot fuel issue--wont rev up

Post by jhje »

Did you remove the main nozzle, down inside center of carb? Also did you remove the pilot jet under the rubber plug? All the holes in these jets need to be clean, spray carb clean and blow them off with air, make sure you can see day light through all jet holes. Also spray carb clean in carb passages and also blow them out with air. I do not think you have fuel pump or float height issue. These are finiky carbs and need to be super clean. If it is an 1989 or 1990 it will have two rubber plugs, the 88's only have one rubber plug. Take off this other plug and spray carb clean and also blow through this carb passage. Also put new fuel filter in tank and for more protection put a small inline filter before carb. Sometime the in tank filters deteriorate and the paper element gets inside carb. Basically clean carb thoroughly again and let me know.
jktaresco

Post by jktaresco »

OK, my carb does not have any rubber plugs. Could that be my issue? Not sure if the ethenol gas ate them up or not? I guess I could buy a rebuild kit and replace the jets and plugs?
jhje

Post by jhje »

The scoot carb should have one for sure maybe two rubber plugs/caps. If your does not have any, then I'd say the ruber plug material went through carb and probably has plugged up some jet holes. You do not need new jets, unless you ruin them when you remove them. All you need to do is make sure you clean jets before putting them in that jet's holes are all clean . When you put them back in, seat them snug, do not overtighten them. You can tell if your carb takes two or one rubber plug by looking at if it has one or two holes for them. Use a good screwdriver (Snap-on) to remove jets. The main nozzle, make sure the screw drive flat is not to wide. Make sure it fits down in hole withought contacting the sides of carb. Clean jets with carb clean, air and small wire if needed. Also blow out passages in carb.
jktaresco

Post by jktaresco »

Ok, I installed a carb kit and also adjusted the float angle so it sat more level. Started right up and runs great at high idle now!!! Just in time for snow storm tonight. Thanks for all the help.
jktaresco

Post by jktaresco »

And yes, I also installed the 1 missing rubber plug in carb.
jhje

Post by jhje »

Great, thanks for posting your good news.